Sunday, March 24, 2013

I love this life I'm living and the people I share it with.

Crossing a border by bicycle is up there on the list of cool feelings I've had in my life. I made it from one portion of this country, to another, without burning any fuel other than the calories from my food. I don't consciously pedal anymore. My legs are an extension of my bicycle, an engine and a gas pedal combined. My hands rest gently on the shifters and by pulling the triggers I can go from 15 to 25 mph, without feeling any added stress on my legs. It is the purest and most fulfilling way to feel speed and to travel. When I've been able to ride without a loaded bike, on flat ground, I can get above 30 mph. Damn good feeling!! Im no Mark Cavendish... I can only maintain that speed for maybe 4-5 miles. Averaging 15-17 mph on the tour.

Well, I'm in California. Arizona was incredibly beautiful! Prescott is a town I can see myself settling down in. Cycling is very popular there. The mountain and road bike scene definitely beats Colorado's and there are more bike shops than every other town I've been in, put together. Unfortunately, not much of a music scene going on in Prescott. "Phish who?" Denver is going to be hard to beat on that. They do have a Chipotle though!

Ill be in San Diego in no time. Going to see an old friend from High School and get my hands on a surfboard. I commuted by longboard in Denver for a summer, so I'm hoping it'll be along the same lines as that. Either way, it'll be rad to experience riding a wave!

It's easy to say I'm addicted to this tour. I'm loving every minute of it and I haven't thought about going home once. Denver has been my rock for so long, but I'm on a journey to find a place and a community that can better embrace a more sustainable way of living, peacefully. That reminds me, can't wait to see you, Gayle and Rich!

Wanted to give a quick shout-out to my friends Tyler and Alex. I credit a very large portion of my growth as a human and as a man to these two guys. Alex, you and your family are like a bright glowing light. Your children are insanely rad, Liza's beauty, on all ends, and wisdom are inspiring. T! You have been the best friend I've had in my adult life. You are one tough dude and don't take much crap from anybody (unless she's older and good looking ;)... love you man). You're one hell of a good friend and you've pulled me out of a lot of bad places. Thank you. I can honestly say that I would not be on this tour, had I not met them.

My lovely and incredibly successful sister (ex-Peace Corps volunteer and passionate educator/administrator... right on!) donated to the blog and is getting the second dreamcatcher from Quartzite. Thank you so much, Sade! I am so proud of everything you've done. You are such a positive role model, for me and the people that rely on you. I love and miss you!

Dad, listened to Corinna by Taj Mahal today and thought of the times we'd get a new album, fudge bars and drive around town together. I owe a great deal of thanks to you. You've taught me so much about life and the conversations we had leading up to this tour are highly valued. I'm your son and with that there will always be a portion of me that strives to impress you and make you proud. That piece of me will forever drive me to better things and a successful future. I didn't go to college, but have been hired for every job I've interviewed for and have succeeded tremendously at them. College cant teach a man to do that, only a good father that demonstrates confidence and self-reliance. I owe the professional skills I have, to you. I love and miss you!

Mom! You have been, by far, the most supportive and inspiring person I've ever known to exist. You are incredibly gifted... not just in your art or pottery, but in your soul and in who you are. You don't give yourself enough credit. You're amazing at everything you do and have been, for so long, the shoulder for everybody else to cry on. It's made you so incredibly strong and it fills my heart knowing you're my mother. This earth exists for no other reason than to have people like you live on it. Thank you for everything and I love and miss you sooo much!

To get into California, I had to cross the Colorado River :) Man, it was a beautiful sight to see. Now on the look out for the first Cali sticker for my bike (currently have Grand Canyon, Route 66 and Quartzite)... first place I tried only had stickers for the Grand Canyon. Ha. Go figure.

Love to EVERYBODY!! PEACE!!


















6 comments:

  1. Your an awesome friend!!! Keep that head up and keep riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to do a ride like this one day. Big Ups and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so fricken wonderful! Just out of curiosity, when you got approved to do the ad thing, did you get to choose what type of ads would be posted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ads will change around a bit from day to day and they're placed on my blog automatically. Google tries to post somewhat relevant ads to go along with the content of the blog. When I'm able to use a real computer, ill be able to be more selective.

    ReplyDelete