Saturday, January 11, 2014

La Paz -> Topolobampo -> Hermsosillo

The day after meeting up with Craig and Rodney, I packed my things and headed out to where I'd board the ferry. It was a short 24km ride along the boardwalk through La Paz and along the shoreline. It was a great day and I was excited to start another chapter of the tour. As soon as I got there I purchased tickets for myself and also my bicycle. After an hour or so of waiting, they started allowing folks to board. The military guys waived me through and let me on, without a problem. Instead of checking my bike with the luggage lady, they let me store my it, myself, in an employee lounge aboard the ferry. Pretty nice not having to worry about a stranger man-handling my bike.

I thought it would be an overnight ride across the Sea, but eight hours later we were docking into Topolabampo. It was around 9 or 10 o'clock and pitch black. I try to avoid riding at night, as much as possible out here. I found a nice hotel and had an amazing night of rest.

The next morning I rode about 20km into Los Mochis, where I got on a bus to bring me here, Hermosillo. The stretch of road headed north from Los Mochis, is a toll road and doesn't allow bicycles. It was a tough choice, having to skip so much of mainland, but my other option wasn't entirely realistic. I would have had to ride east, crossing a mountain range that makes what I crossed in Baja look like a pancake. Not just that, but they are quite cold this time of year. I didn't bring cold-weather gear and the gearing on my bike would have just made that route, well, not too enjoyable.

From here, Hermosillo, I'll be riding north to the border crossing at Aqua Prieta/Douglas, AZ. After crossing into the US, I'll start trekking northwest through Bisbee and Tombstone to Tuscon. From Tuscon I'm not quite sure where I'll go, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Just a few pictures, sorry.










No comments:

Post a Comment